Sujean's EDCI 337 Blog

EDCI 337 Blog Post 6 – Storytelling

In the reading this week, 7 Storytelling Techniques Used by the Most Inspiring TED Presenters, which of the presenters did you find most compelling? What technique(s) did you recognize in their talk?

The presenter I found most compelling was Leslie Steiner’s story of “domestic violence and how she found the courage to leave her abusive spouse” (7 storytelling techniques used by the most inspiring ted presenters, 2022).

I was attracted to Leslie’s story because of her story started about domestic abuse started around the same age as me. Furthermore, as a young woman myself, I found her situation can happen to me too.

Leslie Morgan Steiner, “Why domestic violence victims don’t leave”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1yW5IsnSjo

A few storytelling techniques were used:

• Tell a personal story: Leslie opened up her personal story of surviving domestic abuse with sensitive details such as how her ex-husband choked her so tightly she could not even scream or breathe (7 storytelling techniques used by the most inspiring ted presenters, 2022).
  • Create suspense: Leslie started the presentation off by saying “I’m here to talk about a disturbing question, which has an equally disturbing answer” (7 storytelling techniques used by the most inspiring ted presenters, 2022). The key word in this sentence that created suspense is disturbing. Starting the presentation like this engages the audience because they will anticipate the story that will follow up.
  • End with a positive takeaway: Leslie concluded her presentation by sharing her current happy home life with her second husband, three children, and their pet dog. She further encourages that domestic violence needs to be talked about more and that there can be a happy future for victims.

Practicing Storytelling

This week, I had an opportunity to practice my storytelling techniques. In alignment with this course, I was instructed to tell a story with a learning purpose. The topic that I chose was Tips and Tricks to practice a new language. In order to practice my techniques, I created a storyboard: Practicing a new language. This storyboard also includes the story script. I had a lot of fun creating this storyboard because I personally used these tricks to learn Korean at home.

7 storytelling techniques used by the most inspiring ted presenters. Visme Blog. (2022, September 27). Retrieved October 21, 2022, from https://visme.co/blog/7-storytelling-techniques-used-by-the-most-inspiring-ted-presenters/

1. darcysmith

Hi Sujean!

Leslie Steiner’s TedTalk stood out to me too. It was a horrifying tale, and like you said, any audience feels intense empathy during her presentation – she utilized pathos extremely well to bring persuasion, and I agree, left us with a happy takeaway, and a new viewpoint on life. The awareness of domestic violence in all of it forms needs vocal individuals like herself to help engage people to speak out.

Great work,
    Darcy