Sujean's EDCI 337 Blog

EDCI 337 Blog Post #4

Which design principles did you use to create your infographic in Canva? Which design elements of a ‘good infographic’ were you able to incorporate? What other principles did you consider?

For this week’s blog post, I decided to create an infographic. Infographics are visual representations of a certain topic that incorporates visual keys and minimal text. However, design is an important component of infographics since the information should be intriguing for the reader while being informative.

In order to create my infographic, I got in touch with my Korean heritage. Korean food has various flavour profiles which I wanted to showcase to my class.

In order to create the infographic, I tried to incorporate various design principles. When creating an infographic, design principles are vital to keep in mind. Below are the 8 basic design principles:

• Focus on alignment
  • Use hierarchy to help focus your design 
  • Leverage contrast to accentuate important design elements
  • Use repetition to your advantage
  • Consider proximity when organizing your graphic elements
  • Make sure that your designs have balance
  • Optimize colour to support your design
  • Leave lots of negative space

(Adobe Express, 2020).

Some design principles that were utilized in the infographic are the following:

• Hierarchy: The size of the text from biggest to smallest alerts the reader where the most important information is
  • Repetition: Consistent format of the layout of the information is used
  • Balance: The alignment of the graphics alternates so there is an overall balance in the infographic
  • Colour: There is a consistent colour scheme (a couple of brown shades, black, and white) so that the colour palette is not too overwhelming

Infographic:

Best of Korean Food Infographic: https://www.canva.com/design/DAFOS6rKXRA/64vMcAdL7jv8ZQbL9xJE0w/view?utm_content=DAFOS6rKXRA&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=homepage_design_menu

Adobe Express, (2020, Oct 17). 8 basic design principles to help you make Awesome Graphics. Adobe. https://www.adobe.com/express/learn/blog/8-basic-design-principles-to-help-you-create-better-graphics

1. thomaslum

Hi Sujean,
    Love the idea of creating an infographic to portray these design principles! I also went with the infographic path. Your infographic is gives off a really nice minimalistic look to it and seems informative to your specific Korean food topics. Wondering which principles in your design did you feel were most important and which principle felt less necessary to prioritize on? For me, having a select few color choices, leaving enough white spaces, and balancing out text to image ratio was important in my process. However I felt that I focused a little less on the hierarchy.

2. celiahan

Hi Sujean,
    I agree that the reader should be interested in the information provided so that the presenter can more accurately convey their message. If the first glance doesn’t attract me, I may lose interest in reading.

I love your infographic! You demonstrate context by the left and right alignment that catch my eye and have good use of colours. Do you think adding some boxes under the content, such as white boxes, will help make it more attractive? I think this may create a more substantial visual impact of colour because of the application of dark and light colour contrast.